Update from August 28, 2019
Clarifications from Niantic and Warner Bros
- Dragon Portkeys
- will be distinguishable directly from the map (see the image below showing how they will look on the map so you don’t accidentally pick up a Brilliant Portkey);
- will require 1km of walking to be opened;
- will all (all four of them) appear worldwide during the event and be removed after the event on Monday (no current plan on them returning so get to walking);
- will reward similar items from Wrackspurts as other Portkeys, BUT will also reward Spell Energy;
- will reward Fragments towards Dragon Eggs in your Oddities III registry.
- There will still be regular Portkeys on the map, but in fewer numbers to help players. And again, Dragon Portkeys will be distinguishable directly from the map.
- Dragons will spawn on the maps as Oddity Medals.
- Global Challenge Bonuses will only apply on items used AFTER the Bonuses kick off.
- 25% Wizarding XP Bonus will apply to anything rewarding Wizarding XP.
- Security at the Wizards Unite Fan Festival is of the utmost importance!
As you all know by now, four Dragons will be introduced at the first Wizards Unite Fan Festival, and will then spread around the world, each in their respective regions as follows:
- Peruvian Vipertooth – Americas and Greenland
- Chinese Fireball – Asia, The Middle East, and India
- Common Welsh Dragon – Europe and Africa
- Antipodean Opaleye – Oceania
On-site participants will assist Charlie Weasley, expert Dragon-handler, with Special Assignments involving these creatures. Should they successfully complete their Tasks, they will unlock Global rewards for all Wizards and Witches across the world!
Returning a total of 150,000 Dragons will unlock a special 3-hour Day of the Dragons event on September 7 in your region at the following times:
- Asia-Pacific: September 7, from 1:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M. AEST (UTC +10)
- Europe, the Middle East, Africa and India: September 7, from 10:00 A.M. to 1:00 P.M. UTC
- Americas and Greenland: September 7, from 11:00 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. PDT (UTC -7)
In addition to unlocking Day of the Dragons, if on-site participants complete the challenge, during this 3-hour period of the Day of the Dragons, each region will be visited by a Dragon not typically found in the area. This will be determined according to the variety of Dragon Eggs that each individual region return the most. For example, if your region returns more Chinese Fireball eggs, then your region will see the Chinese Fireball Dragon as well during the Day of the Dragons!
During that time, players around the world will also partake in exciting activities: The Fan Festival Global Challenge, a challenge in which players all around the world will be able to encounter four new types of Portkey Portmanteaus throughout the weekend. Each of these special Portmanteaus will contain a Portkey that will transport you to the Forbidden Forest where you’ll have the opportunity to collect one of four Dragon Eggs. You’ll be able to easily identify these special Portmanteaus on the map, as they’ll match the color of the Dragon Egg found within.
Should Wizards and Witches across the globe complete the following Tasks, they will unlock a reward of their own in addition to the Day of the Dragons!
Clearly, the developers are aiming to have people work together and move around, but this is an extremely enjoyable aspect of the game (so long as you have people in your area to enjoy it with).
All things considered, this is extremey exciting! We simply cannot wait to see how Dragons will behave in the game and if Charlie Weasley will stick around longer than just for WUFF.
This is a very similar format as what has been seen in Pokémon GO when the Legendary Birds were introduced after the first Pokémon GO Fest. Let’s just pray that the event isn’t a disaster as GO Fest was. 😉